The perfect vegan cookout
It’s that time of year again where the weather is nice and everyone starts having cookouts, but when you’re vegan it can be hard to find options for you to enjoy, but you’re in luck there are a lot of vegan alternatives to bring to a cookout just in time for Memorial Day.
One of the most popular item is the Beyond Burger. The Beyond Burgers are a plant-based burger that are mainly made out of peas and are soy free, gluten free, and of course vegan. They come raw and even have the real raw meat look that normal burgers do. You can throw it on the grill just like a normal burger.
More of a hot dog person? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered, the Lightlife Smart Dogs are a great alternative, mostly made out of soy protein the Smart Dogs taste very similar to a normal hot dog and can be enjoyed with all of your favorite toppings.
Want something more to impress your friends, try taking a simple cookout recipe and making it vegan, like potato salad.
- 1.5 lbs of potatoes of your choice
- 1 cup of plant based mayo ( I prefer the Follow Your Heart Vegenaise)
- 2 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup celery chopped
- 2-3 green onions chopped
- 1 kosher dill pickle chopped
- 1 tsp of parsley
This recipe could easily be modified to macaroni salad as well!
Another easy classic recipe that can be made vegan is baked beans.
All you’ll need is:
- 1 package of dry or canned navy beans Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F
- 6 cups of water Place water and beans into pot and boil until tender (1hr)
- 2 tbsp olive oil Cook onions and mixed garlic on medium heat
- 1/4 cup molasses Mix all the ingredients together, cover and bake for 3 1/2 hrs
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sweet onions chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 4 cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Finding vegan options can be difficult but not impossible, many of your favorite dishes can be made vegan with just a few substitutions, you can still enjoy all of your favorite cookout dishes!
Written by Miranda Habusta