If you are looking for a simple way to improve overall health and wellness take a look at lemons. This little yellow fruit is packed with many healing substances such as vitamins: C, and B, minerals: calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and rich in enzymes, antioxidants, fiber and citric acid.
The health benefits of lemons have been touted throughout history by the Ancient Egyptians, India’s Ayurvedic philosophy, and Hippocrates.The drinking of lemon water is perhaps the easiest way to get lemons into the daily diet and routine. Of course the best source for lemons in this water would be freshly squeezed organic lemons void of chemicals and pesticides and another good option would be pure lemon juice– again organic. This healthful lemon water can be enjoyed cold over ice as a refreshing warm weather drink, at room temperature, or warmed up in the cooler months or hot as a tea although heating will likely negate some of the healthy enzymes.
There are many notable health benefits of lemons in the diet and here are a few:
- Because the acid in lemons is similar to the acids found in the stomach and digestive tract it greatly improves digestion and helps to flush out toxins . Lemon juice eases indigestion, bloating and heartburn. In fact many times people suffer from digestive issues as a result of low acid in the stomach and lemons can provide the needed boost to acid levels whereas antacids only make things worse. Lemons also help to hydrate the colon and stimulate elimination.
- Lemon water can be the key to staying well hydrated. The sense of thirst can become diminished for many people as they age resulting in less liquids taken in. Additionally, drinking plain water, which is far better than other options, can be too boring. Adding lemon to water can make the difference and lead to more intake of hydrating liquids
- The citric acid in lemons can significantly reduce the build up of uric acid in the joints which leads to inflammation.
- Lemons can be beneficial for weight loss as they reduce hunger pangs which leads to less calorie intake and they boost the metabolism.
- Although lemons are highly acidic they have a high alkaline affect on the body, and of course, an acidic body is prone to all manner of disease.
- Because lemons can help to balance the bodies’ pH, improve digestion, and remove toxins, they are excellent at improving the immune system. And of course, the fact that they are extremely high in vitamin C also helps.
- Lemons are excellent for oral health. The high acidity helps to kill bad bacteria which can lead to bad breath and gum disease and this acidity also helps to whiten teeth
- Lemons boost brain power with high levels of potassium and magnesium both known to improve brain and nerve health.
- For healthy skin one can look to lemons. The high level of antioxidants in lemons helps to neutralize free radicals which damage the whole body and lead to premature aging of the skin. Vitamins C promotes healthy collagen and elasticity for young looking skin
- Lemon juice is antiviral and antibacterial which can help to fight and or prevent any cold or flu.
Consider adding lemon water to the diet and routine to initiate change, perhaps major change. Instead of reaching for coffee, soda or an alcoholic beverage, for example, reach for lemon water. Use it to improve overall health or just pass the time as a social beverage. Packed with so many nutrients and health benefits, lemon water will make a positive addition to anyone’s diet.
Written by DMK of Seven Grains