- The most prized type of chocolate is that of the Criollo trees which is the variety originally consumed by the Mayans. But because the tree is not as hardy as recent hybrids it is the least common. This chocolate has a fruity, spicy flavor.
- The popular myth that chocolate causes acne is largely unfounded. Although the junk foods that contain small amounts of chocolate are a prime suspect in acne.
- Chocolate is toxic to dogs and other pets. It is thought that the high concentration of Theobromine cannot be metabolized by their systems.
- Early Mesoamericans used chocolate to fight infection, treat illness, prevent stomach aches, and treat cuts, burns, and skin irritations.
- The Kuna people of Panama drink up to 40 cups of cocoa a week. Their risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and diabetes is very low. Perhaps there is a connection.
- The average American consumes 11 pounds of chocolate a year. The Swiss top the list at 22 pounds.
- An estimated 40 to 50 million people worldwide depend on chocolate for their livelihoods.
Written by DMK of Seven Grains