There are certain items that have come to be known as staples within most homes because, one, they work, and two, they don’t break the bank. One such item just happens to be apple cider vinegar, and if you haven’t yet already added this item to your holy grail “must have on hand at all times” list, then let’s just see if you can resist the urge to run out and get some upon reaching the end of this post!
Apple cider vinegar can be considered a miracle product because it has so many different uses, and because of its unique versatility it can replace several products at once. From cooking, to cleaning, to grooming, to taking care of your health – you don’t want to enter into any of these tasks without having your trusty apple cider vinegar on hand!
Here’s a breakdown of some of the best and most popular uses for apple cider vinegar:
1. As a powerful antioxidant, apple cider vinegar is super good for your body and health. It has been known to help balance the digestive system, aid in weight loss, lower blood sugar levels, and improve the symptoms of diabetes. Just add it to your salad, smoothie, or tea in order to start reaping some of its amazing health benefits. It can also be used in cooking! The recommended dosage ranges from 1-2 teaspoons to 1-2 tablespoons per day. This amount per day will allow your body to safely absorb its beneficial properties without any harmful side effects.
2. Apple cider vinegar is a great all-purpose cleaner, as it has antibacterial properties. Why use expensive chemical cleaning agents, when there is an inexpensive and all natural alternative? Here is a quick and easy DIY all-purpose cleaner recipe involving apple cider vinegar:
• one part water
• one part apple cider vinegar
• 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
Just mix together in a spray bottle and clean to your heart’s content!
3. Hair products can be pricey, but apple cider vinegar is to the rescue again! Use it on your hair to get rid of dandruff and promote beautiful, luscious locks. Just add 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar to four cups of water and pour over recently shampooed hair, making sure to rinse with cold water after.
4. It’s the middle of winter, and with that there usually comes an increase in the appearance of the common cold. Well, apple cider vinegar can help aid in your suffering here too. It is known to be able to help combat such side effects as a sore throat and mucous and sinus congestion. This would also be helpful for people who experience allergies. A great at-home remedy involving apple cider vinegar is to mix one teaspoon of it with one teaspoon of cayenne pepper and three teaspoons of clover honey in a glass of warm water. The warm water and cayenne pepper will help soothe the throat, while the apple cider vinegar and honey will help get rid of bad bacteria.
5. Apple cider vinegar is good for the skin. It is known to help with various skin afflictions, including sunburn and acne. To help deal with problematic skin, mix a little apple cider vinegar with water and use as a facial toner. The apple cider vinegar will help restore your skin’s natural pH levels, resulting in smoother feeling skin and aiding in oil control, as well as the reduction of fine lines. Apple cider vinegar works in a similar way to help heal a sunburn. Just add a cupful or two to your bath and soak for about ten minutes. As the apple cider vinegar helps to restore the skin’s natural pH levels, your skin will also experience a cooling sensation and be soothed.
6. If your teeth are in need of a little TLC, then before going out and spending a ton of money on expensive whitening products, maybe give apple cider vinegar a try first. It is known to help remove stains and kill bacteria in the mouth and gums, as well as aiding in the elimination of bad breath. Try mixing one teaspoon with water and swishing it around in your mouth every morning in order to see results. Just be careful not to use it on your teeth without diluting it first, as apple cider vinegar is highly acidic and you don’t want to damage your tooth enamel.
These are just a few of the many uses for apple cider vinegar, a truly multi-use and universal product. So next time you are at the store and you pass by the apple cider vinegar display, maybe you won’t just see a bottle of vinegar. What you’ll see is a healthy ingredient to add to your diet, a natural household cleaner, a new staple for your medicine cabinet, or a new product to add to your beauty/grooming routine. There truly are just so many possibilities!
Written by MD